Home Remedies to Stop a Nose Bleed
Our nose is filled with tiny blood vessels in the lining and these little capillaries are very fragile. If they are disturbed and broken then they will bleed and you will get a nose bleed, in the medical field this is called epistaxis.
Most nose bleeds are not dangerous and can easily be handled at home, but a few need the help of a doctor and if yours is bleeding longer than one half hour of home treatment then seek help.
Two types of nosebleeds
Anterior – 90% of all nosebleeds are these type.
Posterior – Generally seen in the elderly
Causes of Nose Bleeds
- Some kind of blow to the nose
- Putting something in your nose
- Blowing your nose
- Inflammation from allergy or cold
- Dryness from cold weather
- No known reason
- Typhoid fever
- Scarlet fever
- Medical Conditions
Prolonged use of nose sprays
One of the problems with getting a nose bleed is that people can end up swallowing enough blood to make their tummies upset and they end up vomiting or having stools that are dark and tarry looking.
I know when you have a nose bleed it looks like there is so much blood, but there really is very little, so do not worry. However just so you are aware, the following is a list of symptoms of blood loss if your bleeding excessively.
- Pale skin
- Rapid heart beat
- Chest pain or discomfort
Your nosebleed should stop pretty quickly with the home treatment below, but the final healing will take up to ten days.
How to Stop a Nose Bleed
- Sit down but do not lean back or tip your head back
- Tilt your head forward
- Have a pan or cloth beneath you to catch the dripping blood
- Put your thumb and forefinger on each side of the bridge of your nose.
- Move just a little downwards to the fleshy part and squeeze gently
- Squeeze enough to slow the flow but not cause pain
- Hold for ten minutes
- Release to see if bleeding has stopped
- If not then repeat above
- If yes then make sure to avoid bumping, blowing or touching your nose
Filed under: Healing Herbs
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!